Oven Baked Crunchy Chicken Drumsticks
This is an easy and delicious oven baked recipe for gluten-free crunchy chicken drumsticks. The cornflakes-style crust will provide crunchiness on the outside while the meat will stay juicy inside.
This recipe is very easy to make. You only need a few ingredients to make it. At the same time, adding some new spices and herbs to the cornflakes-style crust will make the recipe a little different every time. You can use any kind of gluten-free cornflakes or whatever flakes you will find in the store to prepare the crust. I chose the One Degree Ancient Maize Flakes. You can keep the flakes in the original package and make a small hole with a knife into it to release the air out of the package. Then take a meat tenderizer and crush the flakes. After you are done, empty the bag of crushed flakes into a bowl, and add some spices to it. You can add anything you want, I usually add salt, pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powder, and chicken or steak spice mix.
Now get ready for the breading. Dip a chicken drumstick into the gluten-free flour (I usually use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour). Then dip the drumsticks into whisked eggs and cover the whole drumstick with the crushed flakes mix from all sides. Prepare the baking pan and put all drumsticks next to each other. Drizzle vegetable oil over the drumsticks or use oil in a spray to cover the drumsticks evenly. If you are looking for a healthier option, you can skip the oil or try this recipe in an air fryer (I did not personally test that but it should work).
After baking, you can prepare your favorite dipping sauces and enjoy a crunchy dinner. As a side, I recommend home-prepared fries. The chicken drumstick can be stored in the fridge for several days and then reheated in the oven before serving again.
Crunchy Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 package One Degree Sprouted Ancient Maize Flakes or any gluten-free flakes
- 15 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- spices and herb
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 370°F
- Rinse and dry chicken drumsticks.
- Season chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crush gluten-free flakes with a meat tenderizer and add some spices to it. You can add some salt, pepper, paprika, herbs, onion, and garlic powder.
- Prepare all three ingredients for breading in separate bowls: (1) gluten-free flour, (2) whisked eggs, (3) crushed gluten-free flakes.
- Dip the chicken drumsticks into the flour, then dip in whisked eggs, and lastly cover the whole drumstick with crushed flakes.
- Put breaded chicken drumsticks side by side on a baking pan covered with baking paper and drizzle some vegetable oil over them.
- Bake the drumsticks on 370°F for approximately 50 minutes.