Coconut Cream Tiramisu
This gluten-free and dairy-free tiramisu recipe is a spin-off of the classic tiramisu dessert. This recipe is super easy and delicious. It brings the taste of summer vacation into your home. Did you know that tiramisu in Italian means “pick me up”, which is exactly what you wish to do when you see the final product!
Coconut Cream Tiramisu Ingredients
Everybody knows the classic recipe for tiramisu, but this spin-off has some unique ingredients. You can already tell from the title that this tiramisu is based on coconut cream. You can get coconut cream by buying coconut milk cans and putting them in the refrigerate overnight. After chilling in the fridge, the coconut cream will create a thick white layer on the top of the can and the coconut water will stay on the bottom as a liquid. Open the can on both sides (first on the top side and then the bottom side) which will allow you to easily drain the coconut water, leaving the coconut cream ready for the next step. You do not need to throw away the coconut water, you can use it for other purposes such as smoothies or some other refreshing drinks.
Put a medium-size bowl in the freezer for a few minutes. This will help to keep the coconut cream cold and thick during the whipping. Use an electric mixer to whip the coconut cream until you will reach a creamy consistency. I like to add some pudding powder (in this case I chose vanilla pudding) which will add some sweetness and taste to the cream and also help to keep the cream firm.
Let the coconut cream rest in the fridge until the other part is ready. Now it is time for some strong, good coffee. I am using instant granulated coffee. You will need around three cups of coffee because the ladyfingers absorb a lot of liquid. You can prepare the coffee based on your preference. If you like a stronger coffee taste in tiramisu, prepare stronger coffee.
And now the last missing ingredient are gluten-free ladyfingers. I finally decided to try this brand in MOMS’s Organic Market and in Harris Teeter. These ladyfingers are bigger than the usual ones.
Layer it up!
Now the best part, layer all these delicious ingredients. First, put a layer of coffee soaked ladyfingers in the pan. You will need to be very careful when you are putting them in the coffee because they will absorb the coffee very quickly and that will cause them to break apart in your hands. I recommend putting them in the coffee just for one second from each site and then you can pour some more coffee on top of them once you arranged them in the dish. You can add
Now the bad news, you will have to let the whole tiramisu rest for several hours in the fridge to let all the layers diffuse into each other before you can enjoy it.
Coconut Cream Tiramisu
- 2 packages Schär guten-free Ladyfingers
- 4 cans Coconut milk
- 5 tsp Vanilla Jell-O Instant Pudding
- 3 cups Instant Expresso Coffee
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
- Put the coconut cans into the fridge overnight.
- Prepare the coffee based on your preference and let it cool off.
- Prepare the coconut cream. Open the coconut cans and drain the coconut water. Whip the coconut cream with an electric mixer and add the vanilla instant pudding into it. Let the coconut cream rest in the fridge until you are ready for layering.
- Start dipping ladyfingers into the cooled off coffee for one second from each side. Lay a layer of ladyfingers in the bottom of the pan. You can add more coffee by pouring it on the ladyfingers with a spoon.
- Now top the ladyfingers with a layer of coconut cream. Spread the coconut cream on the whole surface of the dish to completely cover the ladyfingers.
- Add another layer of ladyfingers dipped in coffee and layer it with the last layer of coconut cream.
- Dust coconut powder all over to cover the coconut cream layer.
- Let the tiramisu rest in the fridge for 4 hours before serving.
- Look for coconut milk without additives, mainly without guar gum (guar gum will make the coconut cream too tick)
- Adjust the intensity of the coffee taste based on your preference
- Add as many layers as you want
- Substitute the vanilla pudding with any other flavor to create a new and interesting combination (you can also omit the pudding, it will work too)
- You can add some sugar to the coconut cream. I personally prefer the less sweet option.